[HQRP] Fwd: Shock Wave Hit 2000UTC

Ed Manuel (N5EM) n5em@flash.net
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:59:39 -0500

>Date:   Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:36:07 -0600 (MDT)
>Sender: owner-qrp-l@Lehigh.EDU
>From: "Paul Harden, NA5N" <na5n@rt66.com>
>To: "Low Power Amateur Radio Discussion" <qrp-l@Lehigh.EDU>
>Subject: Shock Wave Hit 2000UTC
>

>GEOMAGNETIC STORM AND AURORA ALERT
>
>Gang,
>The shock wave from monday's X3 flare arrived earlier than expected
>and crashed into our magnetic field at 2030UTC 25 SEPT.  It passed the
>SOHO satellite about a half hour earlier, at 1957UTC.  Solar wind
>went abruptly from around 370 km/sec to over 800 km/sec ... your
>basic shock wave.  Minor to major geomagnetic storming is already in
>progress, as are strong aurora beginning to sweep across northern
>Europe.
>
>If the high solar wind continues for the next several hours, there
>will be a good chance of aurora this evening over North America.  The
>current K index from the onset of this storm is K=5, sufficient for
>aurora to be seen along the extreme northern U.S. (US/VE border) this
>evening. If the K index approaches 8-9, the aurora will be shoved further
>south.  Something to check around 10pm to midnite your local time.
>
>The geomagnetic storm will make conditions this evening rather rough
>on 40-80M.  Two M-class flares also occured on the sun today, for which
>the shockwaves should arrive thursday, triggering another minor to
>major geomagnetic storm.  Short of some major flares tomorrow (wednesday),
>conditions should settle down by this weekend, for those of you wishing
>to participate in the ARCI QSO Party.
>
>The good news ... is the solar flux is still VERY HIGH and some very
>hot openings are being experienced on 10M during daylight hours and
>even a bit past local sundown.
>
>I'll be forwarding today's NOAA RSGA report with commentary shortly.
>
>Remember ... the geomagnetic storm will cause large noise and
>possible disruptions to the LOWER HF frequencies (20-30M and below) but
>NOT to the higher frequencies.  Thus, 20M and above will escape most of
>the wrath of this geomagnetic storm.
>
>72, Paul NA5N

Ed Manuel, N5EM	Houston, TX (Harris Co.) EL29
Houston QRP Club, Houston Amateur Television Society
http://www.n5em.com/	 n5em@amsat.org

---
Send e-mail to 'listar@stevens.com' with subject:

  'unsubscribe hqrp'  to unsubscribe from this list
  'subscribe hqrp'    to subscribe from this list
  'help'              for more information