[HQRP] Fwd: STORM/AURORA 25-26 SEPT

Ed Manuel (N5EM) n5em@flash.net
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:59:55 -0500

>Date:   Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:34:54 -0600 (MDT)
>Sender: owner-qrp-l@Lehigh.EDU
>From: "Paul Harden, NA5N" <na5n@rt66.com>
>To: "Low Power Amateur Radio Discussion" <qrp-l@Lehigh.EDU>
>Subject: STORM/AURORA 25-26 SEPT
>

>Gang,
>I know there are new members on QRP-L, QRP-Canada, etc. that have missed
>some of these solar tutorials over the past couple of years, so this is
>intended primarily for them.
>
>There was a major X-class flare yesterday on the sun.  For the duration
>of this flare, speed of light energy (x-rays and protons) were fired at
>the earth.  This caused poor HF conditions for several hours, but also
>ionized the E and F layers for good skip propagation -- the situation
>that exists right now.  10M is wide open during daylight hours right now.
>
>The flare also spews out gobs of solar mass that travels outward from
>the sun at 800-1200 km/sec.  When it hits the earth about 2 days later,
>it triggers a geomagnetic storm.  The shockwave from yesterdays flare
>hit us today, about 30 hours after the flare, or cooking along quite well.
>This is like a big blast of wind that hits our magnetic field, makes it
>wiggle to generate huge electrical currents.  Those currents also make
>large noise bursts on 10-15MHz and below.  This enhanced noise on the
>lower bands will persist for a couple of days, wednesday being the worse.
>
>This wiggling of our magnetic field, plus the protons from the sun being
>pumped into the solar regions, also produces aurora, or the northern
>lights.  So there is a good chance of seeing aurora tonight in the
>northern US.  The extent of aurora is always difficult to predict and
>often surprises observers.  So even if you live in the middle US
>latitudes, it would be worth taking a look northward tonight around
>10pm to midnite.
>
>Below is portions of todays RSGA report from NOAA, annotated for those
>interested in the interpretation.
>
>SUMMARY: The HIGHER bands are in GREAT shape.  The LOWER bands will be
>experiencing signal loss and enhanced noise.  But nothing so severe to
>stop QRPers from getting on the air.
>
>72, Paul NA5N
>
>On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Space Environment Center wrote:
> > Joint USAF/NOAA Report of Solar and Geophysical Activity
> > SDF Number 268 Issued at 2200Z on 25 Sep 2001
> > IA.  Analysis of Solar Active Regions and Activity from  24/2100Z
> > to 25/2100Z:  Solar activity was high. Region 9628 (S18W14) produced
> > an M7/1n with associated Type II sweep at 0440 UTC.
>
>A Type II sweep are radio emissions starting around 300MHz and sweeping
>downward into the HF spectrum, caused by the shockwave of the flare
>punching through the sun's magnetic field lines.  Astronomers use this
>information to calculate the approximate speed of the departing shockwave.
>To us other earthlings, it tells us a shockwave is on the way.  This one
>was not as energetic as the X-class flare monday, and will probably hit
> [...]

Ed Manuel, N5EM	Houston, TX (Harris Co.) EL29
Houston QRP Club, Houston Amateur Television Society
http://www.n5em.com/	 n5em@amsat.org

---
Send e-mail to 'listar@stevens.com' with subject:

  'unsubscribe hqrp'  to unsubscribe from this list
  'subscribe hqrp'    to subscribe from this list
  'help'              for more information