[HQRP] Fwd: NOAA WX Radio

Ed Manuel (N5EM) n5em@flash.net
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:41:19 -0500

Now, I didn't know that!  FYI so we are all are on the same page.

Ed

>Date:   Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:18:46 US/Central
>Sender: owner-qrp-l@Lehigh.EDU
>From: delphinus@brightok.net
>To: "Low Power Amateur Radio Discussion" <qrp-l@Lehigh.EDU>
>Subject: NOAA WX Radio. Was: Rigs and Airports stuff
>
>Hey all,
>
>I first have a comment about the use of NOAA frequencies for non-weather
>related announcements, let me provide a quote and a URL from the Payne County
>American Red Cross pages
><http://www.stillwaterredcross.org/disasterplan.htm>.
>Afterwards, please read the public service idea that follows.
>
>*****snip*****
>NOAA Weather Radio now broadcasts warning and post-event information for all
>types of hazards both natural (such as weather and flooding, as well as
>earthquakes and volcanic activity) and technological (such as chemical
>releases
>or oil spills). Working with other federal agencies and the Federal
>Communications Commission s new Emergency Alert System, NOAA Weather Radio is
>an "all hazards" radio network, making it the single source for the most
>comprehensive weather and emergency information available to the public. Your
>National Weather Service recommends purchasing a NOAA Weather Radio that has
>both a battery backup and a Specific Area Message Encoder (SAME) feature,
>which
>automatically alerts you when a watch or warning is issued for your county,
>giving you immediate information about a life-threatening situation.  The
>average range is 40 miles, depending on topography. The NOAA Weather Radio
>signal is a line-of-sight signal, which does not bore through hills or
>mountains.
>*****snip*****
>
>I think a wonderful public service that hams could perform would be to have a
>NOAA WX radio "field day" to teach the public about its features.  You know,
>many people don't understand what "line-of-sight signal" is all about.  Its a
>service we could perform that could have far reaching effects.  We could
>demonstrate how to get better reception and how to program the SAME feature.
>Think about it,...I know I'll be bringing it up with my local club.
>
>73, Matthew, AD5AP

>This message was sent using BrightNet MailMan.
>http://www.Brightok.net/mailman/

Ed Manuel, N5EM	Houston, TX (Harris Co.) EL29
Houston QRP Club, Houston Amateur Television Society
http://www.n5em.com/	 n5em@amsat.org

---
Send e-mail to 'listar@stevens.com' with subject:

  'unsubscribe hqrp'  to unsubscribe from this list
  'subscribe hqrp'    to subscribe from this list
  'help'              for more information