[HQRP] jabber.stevens.com

J.D. Stevens dave@stevens.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:31:28 -0600 (CST)

I have installed a jabber server at jabber.stevens.com. Jabber is an
instant message protocol that avoids some of the proprietary issues
associated with other instant messengers. It provides for instant
messaging, chat communication, and conferences.

The installation is an experiment to see if the server is useful. I also
want to see what kind of load it puts on my server. Continuation of the
service will depend on how things go.

To use the server, you need a jabber client. For *nix operating systems,
I've been using Jarl as the client. For Win* operating systems, I've been
using WinJab. Other clients are available. WinJab is available at

<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/winjab/winjab_1.1.exe>

It is available under the Gnu Public License, so it is free.

You need connectivity to the Internet on port 5222. You may wish to verify
that your firewall will allow a TCP connection from your host to that port
on jabber.stevens.com.

When you fire up your client, configure a new profile. For example, my
profile looks like this:

Profile name: Dave@jabber.stevens.com (This is mnemonic. Make is whatever
you want)
Server: jabber.stevens.com
Port: 5222
Type: TCP/IP
Username: dave
Password: ******** (use some password different from your SERIOUS
passwords)
Resource: slim (or Samedan or Transworld or booker, depending on where I
am)

Mark the account as a new account the first time you connect. To test
things out, send yourself a message. To test further, try sending a
message to dave@jabber.stevens.com. If I'm "ON," I should receive the
message.

Try connecting to a conference named hats@conference.stevens.com or
hqrp@conference.stevens.com. If the conference doesn't exist, the server
should create it. If it does exist, you should be able to join in.

Users can "subscribe" to each other's "presence" to see who is "ON."

Getting started can be a bit puzzling, but chat or conference modes can
provide a nice forum for communication. For more information visit

http://www.jabber.org
http://www.jabbercentral.com

or search google for jabber.

Be aware that communication is NEITHER PRIVATE NOR SECURE. But neither is
email unless you use encryption.

  Try it out and enjoy (??)!

  Dave

--