[HQRP] Fwd: Severe storm - still!

Ed Manuel emanuel@datacomdesign.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 20:05:47 -0500

Latest Solar Update.  If you are in North Texas, you should be looking for
signs of Aurora - they saw it in northern New Mexico last time one this big
hit!

>Gang,
>A severe geomagnetic storm remains ongoing at 2400UTC, although it is
>expected to start diminishing this evening.  It has caused near blackout
>conditions globally on the HF bands.  Todays estimated A-index is at
>least 50, with the K-indices since the onset being K=5,7,7 and 5.
>
>Yesterday morning (wednesday), there was a long duration flare event from
>an active region nearly at the sun's center.  It produced two M-class and
>a C-class flare, about 2-3 hours apart.  When a solar flare occurs, several
>things happen.  First is the "speed of light" radiation that leaves the
>sun and hits the earth for about the duration of the flare event ...
>which in this case was several hours.  This tends to ionize the E and F
>layers.  This is actually good, in that it emhances the reflectivity to
>radio waves for good skip propagation and low losses ... especially
>important to QRP operators.  So for a good hint, get on the higher
>frequencies shortly after a flare event to take advantage of several hours
>of some "hot" conditions on 10-15M, and sometimes 6M.
>
>But that bad thing about this ionizing radiation from a flare is if the
>radiation is strong enough, it will penetrate through the E and F layers
>and ionize the D-layer as well.  This is NOT good!  The D-layer is the
>"absorption layer" in that the more it is ionized from sunlight, the more
>attenuation it offers to HF signals.  So if the ionizing radiation from a
>flare were to highly ionize the D-layer, it would highly attenuate HF
>signals for very poor conditions (near blackout conditions) or even to a
>full blackout situation.  Fortunately, this usually only lasts for a short
>time (hours or less).
>
>Another thing that happens with a large flare, is to understand it is a
>huge explosion on the sun's surface, and as with any explosion, it produces
>a large shock wave.  The shockwave from a flare carries millions of tons of
>solar mass and tosses it out into space.  This is called a Coronal Mass
>Ejection or CME.  A CME is simply this shockwave of matter being flung out
>into space.  If the trajectory is right, then the shockwave will hit the
>earth.  Only about 20-30% of the CME's actually hit the earth.  For the
>shockwave to hit the earth, the CME must be originated from NEAR the center
>of the sun.
>
>Most shockwaves from flares travel towards the earth about 700-1200 km/sec.
>and thus takes about two days to get here.  When the shockwave does arrive,
>it is a very sudden, huge blast of solar wind smacking up against our
>magnetic field.  This causes our magnetic field to be compressed inward
>from the enhanced solar wind and starts it to wiggle like Jello.  As it
>wiggles, it generates huge electrical currents that flows along our magnetic
>field lines.  This is the dynamo effect, generating electricity by moving
> [...]

---
Send e-mail to 'listar@stevens.com' with subject:

  'unsubscribe hqrp'  to unsubscribe from this list
  'subscribe hqrp'    to subscribe from this list
  'help'              for more information

Send e-mail to 'dave@stevens.com' to contact a list administrator