[HQRP] HQRP Field Day Info

Ron Sparks rls@sparkles.com
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:42:03 -0500

Please reply to AG5RS@arrl.net

Gang,
I am pleased that you will be coming out for Field Day this year.

We will commence with the first arrivals on Saturday June 26th.  I do not
recommend arriving before 6:25 am since that is sunrise and it is very dark
here until 6.  I suggest that getting here about 7:00 would be best.  The
truck stop restaurant on the corner of I-10 and FM 359 is open 24 hrs (and
is decent) if you want to meet for breakfast.

Here are the directions:

*  From I-10 westbound, exit at the first Brookshire exit (#732) for FM 359.
*  Turn south (left) at the light onto FM 359.
*  Go 1.5 miles and turn right onto Church Rd (still south since 359 curves
left).
*  Church Rd dead ends at my gate 0.2 miles from the turn.
*  Go through the gate (says 2655 and it looks locked, but will not be) and
you will see us.

For the GPS crowd you will be looking for:

NAD 83 datum values: Lat=29.75227698923273N & Long=-95.94976479216291W
(actually that is smack on my front step so you may want to stop a couple
of thousandths of a degree north - hi hi) or 29-45-7.82W by 95-57-1.43N

For the visual crowd, go to W5ACM's picture from FD2002 at:

http://www.flash.net/~hmac/pix/FD2002.gif

I will try and have a talk in on either 146.7 repeater or 147.4 simplex --
I will advise later.

We need a volunteer for each of the following items:

Camper trailer (have 2 for operating, 1 more would be nice for naps)
Coffee pot (2 needed)
Blender (1)
Small/Med Folding table (1)
Laptop with a logging program (?)
ARRL/QRP Rule expert (1)
QRP Wattmeter or 10 watt Bird Slug (1 ea band)

Just let me know if you are bringing one of the above items.

As a reminder each of you that is planning on staying the whole time should
be sure your list includes:

Antennas (and extra antennas), stakes, and rope
steel poles or tower sections
Radios, headphones, keys
Coax/Balanced line
Antenna tuner
Compass for antenna pointing
Connectors for cross series (for example F to RCA)
Wire, tape, solder, hand tools, etc.
Ice
Fan(s)
Swimsuit or gym shorts
Personal items (medicines, toothbrush, etc.)
Sunscreen
Gloves
Flashlight
Drinks
Food and snacks (restaurants are nearby though and one delivers)
Trash Bags (we have to divide the trash up, I'll explain when you are here)
Folding chairs and/or cots
Extra batteries and/or chargers
Extension Cords and power strips for fans, etc.
Mosquito Repellent
Loose clothing and hat
Shoes or socks that protect your ankles from dewberry vines
rain gear if pessimist (realist?)
Towel
Cameras
Cups, plates, utensils, napkins, etc. (Paper/Plastic/other)
Understanding of personal safety while camping
Telescope, if you want to go away from the lights and do some astronomy

What I will be providing:

Water
Water Cooler(s)
up to 17000 VA of generator power if your rig is REALLY inefficient (hi hi)
Gasoline for generators
Shore power for allowed uses
Propane grill
Several Ice Chests
Large Table
2m talk in radio
one small camper, W5ACM may bring a second
canvas canopy (thx W5GFP)
big tools (sledge hammer, tractor, etc.)
big fan
PSK31 QRP rig
NOAA weather radio
Some miscellaneous rope, metal, etc.

Please keep me informed about what antennas you will be bringing and I will
do a plot layout so they will all fit and be easy to erect.

Other trivia -- Sunset will be 8:28pm, nautical twilight ends 9:29pm, the
Moon will be 63.4% waxing.  The daylight will be 14h:03m long.  Weather
will be hot and sticky, with mosquito flurrys <grin>.

73 de Ron, AG5RS
AG5RS@arrl.net